Saturday, February 16, 2008

saturday stuff & a brunch recipe

Sourdough onion bread that was starting to stale, fire roasted red peppers, eggs, creamy fresh milk, a variety of leftover cheeses, freshly ground sausage and little salt and pepper should make for a scrumptious meal. I just took this egg based casserole from the oven. Here are the basics…

10-12 eggs beaten lightly (I use a whole dozen)

2 ¼ cup milk

1 tsp. salad mustard

5-6 slices of bread (cubed or torn into pieces)

salt and pepper to season (about 1/2tsp. each)

1 lb bulk sausage (cooked and crumbled)

1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever and however much you have on hand)

Now you bake as is or improvise if you like with other goodies like chopped onions, diced peppers or additional spices. I like to toss in a couple of diced jalapeƱos or as mentioned, some roasted red peppers once in awhile. On your plate a little salsa on top or on the side (even some sour cream, too) can be a good thing.

Pour into oiled 9x13 pan and baked at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Done when knife inserted comes out clean and browned nicely on top.


The house is quiet today. Coop is finishing up some paint work on the house up the road. The past two days were filled with my girl’s presence. Kandice, Destiny and my sister Sue were all here Thursday night. K and D spent the night. On Friday morning my “other daughter” (niece actually) Jenni came over to visit. Two days of catching up with the girls was fun. Special thanks to Jennie for the cute basket full of pink! (minus half the sweet treats now!)



Destiny modeled a capelet I had finished. I think it looks sweet on her.


Other than that I’ve added a few items to my etsy store and things have quieted down now at the homestead.

The sun is shining bright and warm and that is definitely welcome.



2 comments:

  1. i LOVE breakfast/brunch casseroles!
    so easy (after your prep work is done) i love being able to breathe a bit before i actually put a meal on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur! I love crock pot meals as well and for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete

I sure appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. I may not always have time to respond or acknowledge them but I do read them all and highly value your presence here.

ShareThis

free web counter