Tuesday, January 1, 2008

new year thoughts

Today is a new day, the first day of a new month that begins a new year. The year ahead is pure, full only of intent and unrealized potential. I lit a white candle as my small way of bringing my attention more fully to this moment in time…a time of new beginnings. White is appropriately representative of newness and purity, of wiping the slate clean. This is a time for letting go of the old year, forgiving any misunderstandings or disagreements and moving forward into the new. The candle rests in the center of a round plate, the twelve signs of the zodiac encircling the candle. It just seemed perfect and the thing to do to bring some sacredness into form…an act of appreciation for the continuing cosmic cycle of life, death and rebirth.

I am reminded by this small act that each day is a precious gift, a new beginning ripe with potential. And it is we, as individuals who can make of it what we will simply by our awareness of having that choice. I can ask myself each day, “What can I do to make the world a better place?” I may not always have a concrete answer, but the question alone will encourage an awareness that my thoughts, intentions and actions and their affects truly matter. In this way I may become more whole minded and considerate of the world around me. And that is my intention as I step into the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sure appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. I may not always have time to respond or acknowledge them but I do read them all and highly value your presence here.

ShareThis

free web counter