Monday, January 28, 2008

Sunshine came softly through my window today

Some of you might remember that old Donavon Leitch tune. I am still lovin that folksy stuff from my childhood and teen years. Seems every day I have some tune or another stuck in my head. Actually the sun has come softly through my window today, a most welcome guest.

I was up early this morning. A pan of potatoes is simmering on the stove since I got the notion to make potato salad today. Thats one way to use up some of the eggs I boiled the other day. Now that we are purchasing all our eggs from the Amish, we seem to never have less than 4-6dozen in the fridge. So, needless to say, we eat a lot of eggs. Coop could eat them every single day, the man loves eggs and that's no exaggeration. At a dollar a dozen, it's cheap, healthy eating. And, I can vouch for the fact that free range, naturally raised, happy chickens produce superior eggs. They are richer and tastier by far than any commercially grown eggs I have ever eaten. I've read in Mother Earth that their cholesterol content is way lower,also, as well as being much higher in nutrients.

I am grateful for our Amish neighbors. They're also now supplying us with all our milk and butter at half the price (or less) than we were spending on organic. Talk about buying local. Don't get me wrong, I fully support organic, but when I can get eggs, raw milk and butter for a fraction of the cost while supporting my local community it's a no brainer. Plus it means no more trips to Wal-Mart, (yay!) since that is only local resource for organic milk, which by the way is ridiculous. Plus I just found out that even though Stonyfield milk is produced right here in Ohio, its transported to New York then back to Ohio before I can purchase it. So, I guess I have lightened my carbon footprint a little more by purchasing local.

My latest crochet project is pumpkins. I am working on a couple sets of three. I think they are adorable. I think Arther agrees. :)




1 comment:

  1. These are my favorite! I want at least 1/2 a dozen pumpkins!

    So adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I sure appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. I may not always have time to respond or acknowledge them but I do read them all and highly value your presence here.

ShareThis

free web counter