Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Dangers of GMO's - on my soapbox

People who know me best know that I buy and eat organic and non GM (genetically modified) food as much as one possibly can on a limited budget and with limited sources. That being the main reason for growing our own produce the past couple of years. One I began educating myself I felt we had no alternative if we wanted access to healthier, safer food.


On light of my rant against GM food, I am urging my readers to review Genetically Modified Foods: Toxins and Reproductive Failures, a highly informative article from the Institute for Responsible Technology. I can't emphasize enough just how much I feel we need to make ourselves aware of what we may be blindly consuming.

Also from the Institute for Responsible Technology, below is a list of GM foods.

Genetically Modified Foods at a Glance

Here is a summary of what crops, foods and food ingredients have been genetically modified:

Currently Commercialized GM Crops in the U.S.
(Number in parentheses represents the estimated percent that is genetically modified.)
Soy (89%)
Cotton (83%)
Canola (65%)
Corn (61%)
Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%)
Alfalfa, zucchini and yellow squash (small amount)
Tobacco (Quest® brand)

Other Sources of GMOs
Dairy products from cows injected with rbGH.
Food additives, enzymes, flavorings, and processing agents, including the sweetener aspartame (NutraSweet®) and rennet used to make hard cheeses
Meat, eggs, and dairy products from animals that have eaten GM feed
Honey and bee pollen that may have GM sources of pollen

Some of the Ingredients That May Be Genetically Modified
Vegetable oil (soy, corn, cottonseed, or canola), margarines, soy flour, soy protein, soy lecithin, textured vegetable protein, cornmeal, corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin, fructose, citric acid, and lactic acid.

Some of the Foods That May Contain GM Ingredients
Infant formula
Salad dressing
Bread
Cereal
Hamburgers and hotdogs
Margarine
Mayonnaise
Crackers
Cookies
Chocolate
Candy
Fried food
Chips
Veggie burgers
Meat substitutes
Ice cream
Frozen yogurt
Tofu
Tamari
Soy sauce
Soy cheese
Tomato sauce
Protein powder
Baking powder
Alcohol
Vanilla
Powdered sugar
Peanut butter
Enriched flour
Pasta

Non-Food Items That May Contain GM Ingredients
Cosmetics
Soaps
Detergents
Shampoo
Bubble bath

Sign up for our newsletter, Spilling the Beans, to keep informed of any new genetically modified foods.

Download this document in MS Word format.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sure appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. I may not always have time to respond or acknowledge them but I do read them all and highly value your presence here.

ShareThis

free web counter